Ok, I had this whole messy review written out. And I didn’t like any of it… So, I’m going to make this one simple.
Selection Day: The story of two young men from the slums of Mumbai who are pushed by their father to become cricket stars.
- In depth look at youth sports (cricket)
- Relationships: Father and sons. Sibling Rivalry. Mentors/ Sponsors and athletes.
- A trip to Mumbai.
- Adiga’s style. Jumpy/ character exploration/ language.
- Themes of coming of age, emerging sexuality, sports.
- Adiga’s style can be dividing. If you liked White Tiger, you will be ok with this.
- Can meander at times, and the ending was a little flat.
- The language, especially the cricket/ sports idioms can be hard to follow.
I picked this one up for several reasons: I really enjoyed Adiga’s first book, White Tiger. Selection Day is being turned in a Netflix series (I don’t know why that’s a magnet for me…). And it was on sale on Amazon.